Suggested ItemsWhat NOT to BringPermitted ItemsAdditional Tips
Tips & Restrictions
Following is information to help make your Capital Jazz Fest experience more enjoyable:
Suggested Items to Bring to the Festival
- Driving directions — These can be printed from this web site by clicking on the
GETTING TO THE FEST link on this page.
- Hat, sunglasses, and sunscreen — to protect you on sunny days.
- Fanny pack or backpack — to carry your souvenirs, gifts, and belongings. Note
that all bags are subject to inspection prior to entry.
- Cellular phone — to allow you to connect with friends attending the festival.
- Photo camera — to treasure your memories of this year's festival. Camcorders are prohibited.
- Cash — to purchase souvenirs, food, CDs, and crafts at the festival.
- ATM Card — An ATM machine is available on the festival site.
- Credit card — Many of the craft exhibitors accept credit/debit cards. Credit cards are also accepted at the box office and at the official souvenir booths. Please note: if you have ordered E-Tickets online, you will need to show the actual credit card that was used to purchase your tickets.
- Small rain umbrella or rain hat — in case of showers.
- Jacket, sweatshirt, and/or sweatpants — The outside temperature can drop significantly after sunset.
- Pen, paper, PDA, or business cards — to exchange phone numbers with old friends you'll run into and new friends you'll meet.
- Old CDs and albums — to have the artists personally autograph them at the jazz fest.
- Schedule of Events — This can be printed by clicking on the TALENT LINEUP link on this page.
- Beach Blanket — if you plan to sit on the lawn. (Maximum size allowed is ten feet wide)
- Tickets — If you've pre-purchased tickets, don't forget to bring them with you! If you forget to bring your tickets, you will need to repurchase new tickets at the box office when you arrive. If your tickets are being held at will call, plan to arrive early to allow time to pick up your tickets. To see box office hours,
click on the TICKET INFO link on this page. You are advised to purchase tickets in advance to avoid long lines on day-of-show.
- Photo ID — If your tickets are being held at will call, you will need to show a valid driver's license or other government-issued photo ID to claim your tickets. If you've ordered E-Tickets online, you will also need to show the actual credit card that was used to purchase your tickets.
- Capital Jazz clothing — Get into the Capital Jazz Fest spirit by wearing your vintage Capital Jazz Fest shirt or hat to the festival.
- Comfortable pair of shoes — since you'll probably be doing lots of walking throughout the day.
- Comfortable clothes — Dress for the weather.
- Binoculars — if you're seated far from the stage.
Back to Top
What NOT to Bring to the Festival
The following items are prohibited at the Capital Jazz Fest:
- Alcoholic beverages
- Tents or canopies wider than ten feet
- Blankets or canvases wider than ten feet
- Glass bottles or glass containers
- Portable radios or "boom boxes"
- Open flames
Back to Top
Items that are Permitted
The following items are permitted at the festival. NOTE: The
Capital Jazz Fest is a special event at Merriweather Post Pavilion. Items that are permitted at the festival may or may not be permitted at
other Merriweather shows.
- Coolers, picnic baskets, knapsacks, and tote bags — allowable, but are subject to inspection prior to entry. Note that food and beverages are available for purchase at the festival concession areas.
- Lawn chairs — allowable on the lawn only. Must be no higher than 36" from the ground. Taller or larger lawn chairs are restricted to the rear of the lawn seating areas of both stages.
- Tents, canopies, and beach umbrellas — allowable only in designated areas of the festival site. Tents and canopies are not allowed on the Pavilion Stage lawn. Tents and canopies may be no wider than ten feet. Please refer to
the seating chart on the TICKET INFO page. All tents, canopies, and beach umbrellas must be removed at the end of each night's show. Any tents, canopies, or umbrellas left overnight will be removed and discarded.
- Beverages — Bottled water and soft drinks are allowed, provided they are in factory-sealed plastic bottles or cans. Glass bottles and alcoholic beverages may not be brought onto the festival site.
- Photo cameras — Still cameras are permitted but camcorders and audio recording devices are prohibited.
Back to Top
Additional Tips and Information
- Buy early and save! — If you plan to purchase general admission/lawn tickets, be sure to take advantage of our early-bird discount. Buy your tickets early and save! Click on the TICKET INFO link for more info.
- Smoking — County laws prohibit smoking in all areas of Merriweather Post Pavilion (outdoor and indoor).
- No Re-Entry — The venue has a no re-entry policy. Once you depart the festival, you will not be permitted to re-enter. When entering the venue, please bring with you any items you may need during the course of the day (umbrella, sweatshirts, medication, etc.)
- Counterfeit tickets — Be sure to purchase your festival tickets from this web site, the Merriweather box office, or from TicketFly (phone-charge or ticketfly.com). Unauthorized ticket brokers and scalpers often sell counterfeit tickets. Patrons attempting to enter the festival with counterfeit tickets will be refused admission and have their tickets confiscated.
- Which day to come? — If you're still undecided on which day to attend the festival, why not come all
- Bootleg merchandise — If you plan to purchase any Capital Jazz Fest souvenir merchandise, be sure to make your purchase only at an official festival souvenir booth on the festival grounds. Bootleggers often roam the festival grounds and parking lots selling inferior bootleg or counterfeit merchandise.
- Weather — The festival is held rain or shine. Refunds will not be given in the event of inclement weather.
- Children — Children age 2 and under are admitted free only when accompanied by an adult holding a general admission ticket. All patrons seated in reserved (Pavilion) seats must have a ticket, regardless of age.
- Seat numbers on tickets — Although seat numbers may appear on general admission tickets, they are for accounting and security purposes only. Reserved seats are not provided for patrons holding general admission tickets. Only persons holding reserved (Pavilion) tickets will be admitted into the Pavilion seating area.
- Accessible seating — Persons requiring mobility accessible seating should contact TicketFly. Persons requiring hearing or visually accessible seating should call Merriweather at 410-715-5550.
- Drinking and driving — Drive safely and don't drink and drive.
- Schedule changes — The festival's talent lineup and schedule are subject to change without notice.
Back to Top
Enjoy the show and have a great time!